You got to hand it to him…

If you are feeling down and out and if you think your problems are insurmountable, let Tony Melendez inspire you.

Anwar locked in a battle of wills

This is something I wrote today: POLITICS-MALAYSIA: Opposition leader unfazed by new sodomy charges Analysis by Anil Netto PENANG, Jul 22 (IPS) – Anwar Ibrahim, Malaysia’s de facto opposition leader, is locked in a political battle of wills with ruling coalition leaders and determined to wrest federal control despite fresh charges of sodomy brought up against him. Anwar hopes that parliamentary defections from the ruling Barisan Nasional (National Alliance) will enable the three-party opposition People’s Alliance to seize power by Sep.16 — but so far there has been little to show. For the full article, click here. Here are a few other articles you might find relevant or interesting: In ‘Conquering and vulnerable: Anwar’s predicament and ours’, Khoo Boo Teik looks at how Anwar has come to personify many dissident, even conflicting tendencies. His two different images – that of a conquering political leader and frequently disabled politician – capture society’s current predicament. We have moved towards more open dissent; and yet we are unsure if we can really achieve a more open political system. One article that has struck a chord among many Malaysians – judging by how widely it is being circulated on the Internet, including on Facebook – is Farish Noor’s ‘The boring yet necessary thing called Governance’. Finally, Dr Chris Anthony, a practising surgeon, takes a look at whether proper procedure was followed during Anwar’s medical examination in “Was Anwar stripped and measured?”

Home Ministry warns Herald to stick to “religion”

herald cover The Herald has highlighted current events and related them to faith The latest issue of the Herald (20 July), the Catholic weekly, carries a little note below its editorial, which I reproduce here:
NOTE Warning letter from Home Ministry The Ministry of Home Affairs has warned us to work within their designated term and category “agama”. Their warning letter fails to indicate what they mean by “agama”. Can HERALD stop ‘awakening the consciences’ as the Pope teaches us? Are they interfering in matters that pertain to our religion?

Enthusiastic response for Anwar in BN-stronghold Johor

This was Anwar’s ceramah on 20 July 2008 in Sri Gading, Johor. Anwar is in his element and the crowd soaks it in. He claims that when he was brought from the police station to the hospital, the roads were closed to others. He tells the crowd not to read Utusan Malaysia as he says their reports allegedly insult the intelligence of the Malays; instead he recommends that they read the Chinese newspapers. “I know you can’t understand the language, but there are lots of pictures in them!” he jokes.

Puspakom gets additional concession, 15-yr extension

Puspakom, the entity which inspects vehicles for road-worthiness, has been granted a 15-year extension of its concession by the government. That’s not all. The government has also agreed to revise the company’s rates and to award it another concession for the mandatory inspection of second-hand vehicles prior to transfer of ownership. The Edge business weekly has expressed concern about the 15-year extension. The paper said the government should have reviewed Puspakom’s track record in carrying out inspections since 1994 -and considered some of the bad press it has received – before granting the extension. The government will only review the company’s performance at five-year intervals. Puspakom made a net profit of RM18 million from turnover of RM76 million for its 2007 financial year. By the time the government reviews its performance in five years’ time, the company could have raked in a further RM90 million or so, The Edge noted.

Putting the RM2b Penang Sentral cart before the horse

Penang Sentral RM2 billion terminal – but not enough funds for public transport (Image from penangsentral.com.my)

So we are going to have a montrous RM2 billion terminal in Butterworth that is supposed to be the gateway to Penang.

This project is supposed to be located on a 12.8ha site “at the existing Butterworth train, bus and ferry terminal and will integrate KTM’s rail services, road transport facilities and the ferry services operated by Penang Port”. It’s going to be a big money project for Malaysian Resources Corporation Berhad (MRCB) and Pelaburan Hartanah Bumiputra Berhad (PHBB). Last year, The Star reported that “it would have two ferry platforms, two monorail platforms, four train platforms, 50 bus platforms and 4,000 parking bays”. Oops, no federal money for monorail – or trams for that matter – now. It’s pathetic that the state has to celebrate because the federal government has approved RM40 million to revive the broken down Penang Hill railway. (Under the Penang Hill project, a new one-stretch cable railway track will be laid between the lower and upper stations, doing away with the present middle station, reports Malaysiakini. The rail track will be laid to accommodate larger and longer funicular trains.)

Why not reveal Saiful’s police report?

Aliran president P Ramakrishnan has come up with an apt response to Syed Hamid Albar’s statement. He is asking the Minister why Saiful’s police report has not been revealed to Anwar. Why is it so difficult to show Anwar the report? Good question.
What is Syed Hamid Albar afraid of? In a rhetorical stance, the Home Minister Datuk Seri Syed Hamid Albar posed this question to Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim, “What is he afraid of?” Aliran would like to pose this very question to Syed Hamid, “What is he afraid of?” Why are they afraid to release the police report lodged by Mohd Saiful Bukari Azlan against Anwar Ibrahim on 28 June alleging sodomy? Full statement

What happens when Unesco finds out about this?

George Town building spree threatens world heritage site

The Pier project along Weld Quay

The Rice Miller Hotel project (Images courtesy of http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=22767668) See poll at end of entry Barely has the news about George Town’s listing as a Unesco World Heritage Site sunk in than we learn of a building spree in the heritage and heritage buffer zones of this historical city. In fact, the three-day celebrations on 25-27 July to mark the heritage listing have not yet begun. But already, reports tell us that high-rise buildings and massive commercial development will be allowed in the historical zone. I am going to find it hard to celebrate for a single day, let alone three days. Property development projects in the pipeline:

  • AGB Sdn Bhd’s RM500 million “The Pier at Weld Quay” project including the 100-room Rice Miller boutique hotel at Weld Quay: 100,000 sq feet commercial plaza, 160,000 sq feet retail podium, 23 small office-house-office (Soho) townhouses and 105 condominiums;
  • Low Yat Group’s 23-storey hotel project along Millionaire’s Row (Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah), said to be in the heritage buffer zone;
  • Boustead’s RM100 million Royale Bintang Hotel (4 star, 295 rooms) project behind the post office in Downing Street;
  • Extension of E&O Hotel.

Anwar lashes out at his treatment

Read his press statement here. An incredulous Australian friend sent me an email this afternoon:
“Anwar’s plight is still a topic on the news here. Arrested by hooded and armed police it seems. I wonder if those that are behind these tricks know what it all looks like from a distance? That he has been taken away for DNA testing has also been reported.”

Hadi confirms Pas will remain with Pakatan

Dark clouds hung in the sky this morning, reflecting the mood of the nation, and then it rained … showers of blessing, perhaps? Anyway, it’s turning out to be not a bad day at all for those yearning for justice and freedom in our land. Anwar released on bail (read his press statement here), Raja Petra freed on bail, and now this… After all the speculation in the media that the Hadi Awang faction in Pas was getting too close to Umno for comfort, the Pas president has today stressed (menegaskan) that Pas will continue its struggle with Pakatan Rakyat to create a government that is “trustworthy, clean and just”. This from Hakarah Daily:
Presiden PAS, Dato’ Seri Tuan Guru Abdul Hadi Awang menegaskan bahawa PAS akan terus berjuang bersama Pakatan Rakyat bagi mewujudkan sebuah kerajaan yang amanah, bersih dan adil.

Raja Petra freed on bail (updated/corrected)

Thank God he is out – for now. Next appearance in court: 15 August. Updated: According to The Star, they have charged him with three counts of criminal defamation after Raja Petra had earlier protested that the charges were defective. I got in touch with Zunar, the Suara Keadilan editor, who had just returned from overseas, and he told me he had received news that bail was finally reduced to RM2,000, which Raja Petra posted after consulting his wife. The earlier report on the Suara Keadilan website, picked up by Malaysia Today, appears inaccurate. Apologies for the confusion.

Next change: Anwar out, Raja Petra in

So Anwar has been released on police bail and it’s now Raja Petra’s turn to face the music. He has been arrested and is being taken to court to face a charge of criminal defamation. What on earth is happening to Malaysia? Many have drawn comparisons with the events of 1998. But there are a couple of crucial differences between then and now.

Anwar’s arrest: A day of high drama

Gobind Singh Deo in the video above says Anwar is in good spirits and hopes that he will be released by the end of the day. The news of Anwar’s arrest has flashed across the world. It is one of the main headlines on BBC: “Malaysia’s Anwar Ibrahim arrested“. The Lingam videotape scandal has been completely forgotten. Earlier this afternoon, Anwar was arrested and taken into a police Mitsubishi Pajero where he was seen with his face covered with a cloth and flanked by two policemen in balaclavas, reports the NST. He was brought to the city contingent police headquarters. The Malaysian Insider reports that, soon after his arrest this afternoon, more pandemonium erupted in Parliament when Azmin Ali challenged the government to reveal who issued the order for Anwar’s arrest.
“What is Syed Hamid Albar, the Home Minister’s, stand? Who gave the order? Is it the IGP,” he spat out.

Warrant of arrest out for Raja Petra

Malaysia Today reports that Raja Petra Kamarudin has been ordered to report to the ninth floor IPK KL (opposite Pudu Jail) at 10.00am tomorrow. He could be charged for criminal defamation in relation to the sworn statement on 18 June that Deputy Prime Minister Najib’s wife Rosmah was present when Altantuya was blown up. The NST reports that police have obtained a warrant of arrest against Raja Petra.

Anwar “wins” debate hands down – but is now arrested

Almost all (97%) of you picked Anwar as the more convincing of the two debaters last night (see also: Anwar gets bloggers’ vote) – but today he is arrested – again.  Here we go again – it’s like a re-run…no, a re-make… of a bad movie, complete with the balaclava-clad special squad. You just don’t want to sit through such a sordid saga again. Once in a life-time is enough, thank you very much. Anwar was detained on his way back from the ACA office by a team of police officers just before 1.00pm – an hour before a 2.00pm deadline for him to report to the police station. Nurul Izzah writes in her blog:
Dad was arrested by the cops whilst on his way to the IPK to give his statement. The cops gave till 2pm for dad to report but still arrested him before the deadline. Dad was on his way back home to have lunch in Bukit Segambut, and then head to the IPK but the cops blocked off the road and arrested him like a criminal. And the cops who arrested him were Special Squad cops with balaclavas!!! Is that necessary!!! I hope and pray for our nation today. I ask all Malaysians to be calm but strong in this event. I truly do believe our nation’s future rests on what happens in the next weeks. Please please do not give the authorities any reason to crack down on us. Let us do everything by the book and do what’s right. And most of all, please pray. Izzah
Minutes before his arrest, pandemonium broke out in Parliament when Khairy asked for Anwar’s DNA sample to be given to the police (see Harakah report below). His family and many other Malaysians are already deeply concerned about how he will be treated in custody. Abdullah Badawi and his administration will be held accountable for this.

LIVE: Anwar vs Shabery in the Great Oil Price Debate

Anwar and Shabery shake hands at the end of the debate. So what do you think? Who was the more convincing? Respond to the poll on the sidebar. 2151: Why don’t you give your ideas without talk of changing government, Dato Seri? Anwar: If they accept our suggestion, we will support them. In Feb 2006, after an earlier price hike, there was 4.8 per cent inflation. Now, after the price hike, inflation has soared to nearly 8 per cent in a month. Venezuela and Iran may have low oil price and high inflation, but we now have high oil price and high inflation! Look at the countries around us – how we have lost out to them in competitiveness. I still believe Malaysia, with its resources, has the potential if it cleans up its act. Shabery: Mahathir has been blamed for the IPPs, but Anwar was once singing the praises of Mahathir. He should have resigned back then. Why is he only talking about a 50-sen reduction now when the oil price was RM1.92 before the election and he promised to reduce it then? We will only burden the country with high subsidies and could end up in debt to international “money lenders”. Petronas alone (not the group) gives 91 per cent of its profit to the government. What else is there to give? Petronas is strong because of the government of Umno and BN. We do not burden Petronas but allow it to reinvest. About this talk of abuse of power – we are not alone in raising prices; it’s a global problem.

Petronas barrels in record RM96b profit as oil prices soar

Petronas has posted a record profit before tax of RM96 billion, a 25 per cent increase from the previous year. Its turnover rose 21 per cent to RM223 billion ringgit for the financial year ended 31 March 2008. Revenue from international operations made up 40 per cent of the total figure. The results were released about 15 days later than in the past five years, when they were out by 30 June. The record profit for Petronas comes at a time when many Malaysians are struggling to cope with a 41 per cent hike in the retail petrol price and its inflationary impact.

Undersea cable cost for jinxed Bakun doubles to RM15b

I have always believed that the Bakun Dam has been jinxed, ever since the developers messed with the ancestral lands of the indigenous people and displaced them from the site. Now we are witnessing a re-run of the scandal involving the second Penang bridge, which we might not even need in the first place. The figures are almost identical – except that for the Bakun Dam, the cost of the undersea cables is quoted in US dollars instead of ringgit. In the case of the second Penang Bridge, the estimated cost has soared from RM2.7 to close to RM5 billion in a year or so. In the case of the Bakun undersea cables, according to an Edge report, the cost of the cables has soared from US$2.5 billion (RM8 billion) to US$4.7 billion (RM15 billion), which is the figure quoted by a consortium led by Sumitomo.

MV Agusta sold for 1 euro; Harley buys it for US$109m

I think Proton has some explaining to do. It sold MV Augusta for 1 euro after buying it for RM368 million. Now look at this – AP reports on 11 July the following:
Harley-Davidson Inc. said Friday it will buy Italian motorcycle maker MV Agusta Group for about $109 million to boost its presence in Europe, giving it entry into the popular performance bike market there.
And here’s a report from Bernama a couple of years ago.
Proton Defends Sale Of MV Agusta KUALA LUMPUR, June 16 (Bernama) — In what appears to be an unending saga, Proton Holdings Bhd has again come out in defence of its sale of financially-troubled MV Agusta, reiterating that there were no synergies between the motorcycle maker and Proton as a car maker. Describing continued criticisms over the sale and change in management announced by Proton in July 2005 as “uninformed speculation”, the national car company said there was “a refusal among some to acknowledge explanations provided earlier”.

Foreign spies in Malaysia?

Apparently there have been people in the country gathering information for foreign security or surveillance agencies. Nine peoople are being detained under the ISA for “mengumpul maklumat untuk agensi perisikan/keselamatan asing“. That’s a major news story, don’t you think? So why are most people unaware of these “spies”? Were these arrests reported in any of our mainstream media? According to the “Menteri Dalam Negeri”, the nine are part of 68 ISA detainees at the end of April 2008. These people have been detained without trial. The Minister was responding to a question in Parliament from Dr Mohd Hatta Ramli, the MP for Kuala Krai.