Malaysian history

Raffles House
Raffles House: Notice the 19th century columns - Photograph: L. A. K. James

This was the building known as Raffles House in Penang, along Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah/Northam Road. Notice the five 19th Century Doric order columns.

It stood on the site of Stamford Raffles’ house, which was damaged in a fire in 1901. It was rebuilt or reconstructed in 1903 and opened as a hotel. (See timeline further below.) The solid structure of the building may well have been the original. Heritage circles had asked if they could investigate and record the building but it never happened.

Instead, the building was among several that were demolished at the Runnymede site over the Lunar New Year by the developer.