Berita Harian reports that two suraus in Muar, two kilometres apart, are the latest religious sites affected.
Surau Silaturahim di Jalan Ismail mengalami kebakaran pada langsir dan cermin manakala Surau Parit Beting pula mengalami kebakaran di ruang solat wanita, permaidani dan pintu.
Hmm, what’s going on here? So far, the general Malaysian reaction to all this has been admirably ‘cool’ – a reflection of increased maturity, wisdom and discernment. Let’s hope it stays that way.
This brings the tally of religious sites affected since 8 January to 16.
- Metro Tabernacle Church (Assemblies of God) in Desa Melawati – molotov cocktail damages administrative wing (8 Jan)
- Assumption Church (Catholic) in Jalan Templar – molotov cocktail hurled on pavement in front of church fails to explode (8 Jan)
- Life Chapel (evangelical Brethren) in Section 17, PJ – molotov cocktail slightly damages porch (8 Jan)
- Good Shepherd Church (Lutheran) in PJ old town – firebomb misses window, scorches outer wall, minimal damage (8 Jan)
- Surau in Taman Menara Maju in Jalan Kampung Jawa, Klang – sliding door shattered (police report lodged on 9 January)
- All Saints’ Church (Anglican) in Taiping – two molotov cocktails scorch stair case leading to main entrance and side porch (9 Jan)
- Convent school (Catholic) in Taiping – molotov cocktail, probably meant for St Louis’ Church (Catholic) next door, breaks guard-house window (9 Jan)
- Malacca Baptist Church (Baptist) in Durian Daun – smeared with black paint (9 Jan)
- Good Shepherd Church (Anglican) in Lutong Miri – stones shatter window panes (9 Jan)
- Sidang Injil Borneo Church (Borneo Evangelical Mission) in Seremban – front doors scorched (10 Jan)
- Gurdwara Sahib (Sikh) in Sentul – stones flung, mirror at entrance cracked and wall chipped (12 Jan)
- St Elizabeth’s Church (Catholic) in Kota Kecil, Johor – packets of red paint hurled, splattering the main gate, the grounds inside, a wall and a statue (14 Jan)
- Grace Global Prayer Church in Rasah, Seremban – two window panes found broken (15 Jan)
- Mosque in Kota Samarahan, Sarawak – broken glass found near outside wall (16 Jan)
- Sirratulrahim Surau in Kampung Sabak Awor, Muar – fire damages curtain, window shattered (21 Jan)
- Surau in Parit Beting, Muar – fire damages the women’s prayer section, carpeting and a door (21 Jan)