Perkasa held its first AGM at the PWTC in KL this morning with Mahathir in the spotlight – but estimates of the turnout vary.
The large crowd at the PWTC – Photo twittered by Tun Faisal (More photos here)
Malaysiakini put the turnout at more than 2,000.
According to blogger Aisehman, the MC said 8,000 seats were put out but the crowd was 10,000-strong.
Aisehman himself thinks the turnout was 3,000-4,000 max, many of them from the older generation. (He had earlier estimated the crowd at 5,000). Check out his tweets here.
Whatever the case, the large hall looks quite full.
When you want to rally your supporters, the easiest way is to focus on an (imaginary?) enemy or adversary. Better still, more than one! Among those singled out for criticism by speakers at the AGM (drum-roll, please):
- Anwar (for the usual)
- Khairy (“newly hatched politician”! – haha)
- DAP (‘Malaysian Malaysia’ concept)
- Malaysiakini (allegedly disuniting the Malays)
- Malaysian Insider (ditto)
- Liberal Malay bloggers
- “A group of extremist people”
- Pas (allegedly failing to protect Islam)
- Saifuddin (alleged contempt of court)
- Utusan Malaysia (not surprisingly)