Well, say no more! As my academic friend observes:
…this is a sterling opportunity to draw out the oligarchic control of this country — a chance to pull away from the ethnic ding-dong that’s going on. Here is the oligarchy of wealth and privilege: an Indian lawyer, a Chinese tycoon, a Malay judge, etc. And claiming to do this in the interests of the country, of the PM (Mahathir).
Gives a whole new meaning to the word “muhibbah” – while they divide-and-rule the rest of the country, secure in their own positions of wealth and power.
See this press statement by Aliran president P Ramakrishnan.
He is calling for the immediate suspension of the Chief Justice and a review of decisions in the following cases:
- All judgments involving Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim’s court cases;
- The farcical sodomy conviction cases of Sukma and Dr Munawar Anees;
- The sacking of Tun Salleh Abas, Tan Sri Wan Suleiman and Datuk George Seah;
- The elevation of Tan Sri Moktar Abdullah to the Federal Court some three weeks after his retirement from his office as the Attorney-General;
- The Ayer Molek case;
- The Metramac case;
- All high profile cases in which these judges sat after leap-frogging over more senior and deserving judges still in service;
- Justice Idid’s letter which condemned and implicated 12 judges by citing 112 serious allegations of corruption and malpractice;
- Reporter Raphael Pura’s allegation that lawyer V K Lingam had written parts of the judgments of a judge in his defamation case;
- The case of certain judges holidaying overseas with lawyer V K Lingam.