How sad – the combined wealth of the 40 richest Malaysians has dropped by 7 per cent since last year.
But be happy. The Malaysian Business assures us, “On the bright side, there were 30 billionaires this year — three more than last year.”
You know, that’s very reassuring. Now I can sleep in peace. Not.
A couple of years ago, we were even told that Malaysia had the most billionaires in Southeast Asia – as if that is something to be proud of.
Here’s a familiar cast of characters. But I suspect that there are a couple of politicians missing from this list who could well qualify to be included.
The Top 20 Richest Malaysians 2012 (Wealth in RM million as at 20 January 2012). Source: The Star/Bernama
- Robert Kuok Hock Nien 45,700.00 Kerry Group/KuokGroup
- T Ananda Krishnan 42,998.00 Usaha Tegas
- Tan Sri Teh Hong Piow 12,642.01 Public Bank
- Tan Sri Lee Shin Cheng 11,356.55 IOI Group
- Tan Sri Syed Mokhtar Albukhary9,530.00Albukhary Foundation
- Tan Sri Quek Leng Chan 8,002.92 Hong Leong Malaysia
- Tan Sri Lim Kok Thay 7,585.07 Genting Group
- Puan Sri Lee Kim Hua 6,588.33 Genting Group
- Tan Sri Tiong Hiew King 6,411.46 Rimbunan Hijau
- Ong Beng Seng 4,919.56 Hotel Properties Ltd
- Tan Sri Azman Hashim 3,470.00 Arab-Malaysian Corp
- Tan Sri Vincent Tan Chee Yioun2,541.74 Berjaya Group
- Datuk Mokhzani Mahathir 1,937.27 Kencana Petroleum
- Datuk Lee Yeow Chor 1,787.85 IOI Group
- Tan Sri Tony Fernandes 1,772.42 AirAsia
- Lee Yeow Seng 1,746.00 IOI Group
- Tan Sri Lau Cho Kun 1,721.64 Hap Seng Consolidated
- Tan Sri Yeoh Tiong Lay1,711.84 YTL Group
- Tan Sri Lee Oi Hian 1,589.97 Batu Kawan
- Datuk Lee Hau Hian 1,586.18 Batu Kawan