The MPPP has rejected a proposed 22-storey tower project on the hill slopes of Sungai Ara.
The decision was made at a committee meeting on 19 June.
This news came from two different sources.
The project was rejected for the following reasons:
- It did not conform with the Penang Island Structure Plan.
- It did not have the required geotech report from the Penang high risk property development management committee.
- It did not have a geological mapping report, a construction stability plan, and a site investigation report.
- It did not conform with the hill land development guidelines 2008.
- The planning permission application contradicted the conditions in the EIA report in 1992.
You can see the rejection letter here.
Well done to the MPPP for making a wise decision and listening to the people. It proves that such projects can be rejected.
Also congratulations to the residents group – a victory for people power.
There is of course another controversial hill slope project in Sungai Ara, now before the Appeals Board.