Former IGP and Genting deputy chairman Hanif Omar will head an ‘independent panel’ to probe the incidents of violence at the Bersih 3.0 rally.
Other panel members:
- Former Chief Judge of Borneo Steve Sim
- Sinar Harian managing editor Hussamuddin Yaacub
- Media Chinese International (part of Sin Chew group) legal adviser Liew Peng Chuan
- Petronas corporate affairs senior general manager Medan Abdullah
- Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia psychology professor Ruszmi Ismail
I am just amazed that the government can be so out of touch with public sentiment to think that this panel would be perceived as ‘independent’ in the eyes of the people. Especially after Hanif’s recent remarks about communist sympathisers from the 1970s being involved in the rally on 28 April.
If this is Hishammuddin Hussein’s idea of an ‘independent panel’, he might as well include Mahathir, Ibrahim Ali and Hasan Ali in the panel.
What can you say? I am stumped. They really don’t get it, do they?