This is the section on the people’s well being. What do you make of it?
The following have been highlighted in a leaflet:
- Lower oil prices
- Lower electricity charges
- Lower water charges
- Abolish tolls
- Abolish monopolies
- Lower car prices
- 150,000 affordable and comfortable housing
- National Housing Corporation: investing RM5 billion in the first year and RM2 billion a year after to build affordable and comfortable housing
- Free education for all, abolishing PTPTN
- Eliminate AES, revoking AES summonses
- Justice for FELDA settlers
- Increase police capabilities to solving crime
- Free ward service to all citizens in all government hospitals for class 2 and 3 wards
- Social Welfare Assistance increased to RM550 a month
Free education and health care and affordable housing is good. We definitely need to move away from property-centric development.
I think key pledges that need to be highlighted, given more prominence or introduced under this section would be:
- reduce dependency on private motor vehicles. In this respect, car duties/taxes and highway tolls should not be completely abolished but should be used to improve public transport across the country.
- explore and work on renewable energy options. Need to think ahead to dangers posed by climate change etc.
- protect the environment and live in harmony with Nature. Think of a more holistic concept of sustainable ‘human development’ – that would also encompass spiritual reverence for the natural environment and one another.
- reduce income inequality and prevent a two-tier system from emerging especially in health care and education.
- ensure food prices – especially fruit and vegetable prices – remain affordable. Related to this: sustainable, organic farming should be expanded.